For Students

Sign in front of campus, reads University of California Riverside.

We can help take the weight off of your shoulders.

Case managers work with students in: 

Prioritizing needs – Students who have multiple issues in their personal, family, or academic life often don’t know what to tackle first. We can help you prioritize and develop a plan of action.  

Problem-solving – Students often have conflicting priorities or don’t know how to break down problems to resolve them. We can guide you through a problem-solving process and empower you to find solutions that work for you.

Navigating complex university processes – UCR has many institutional policies and procedures, and it can be overwhelming for a student trying to find their way through the process. We are friendly guides to help you bridge the various departments. 

Discussing options and developing strategies.

Accessing resources – Provide linkage to on-campus and off-campus resources.

Post-psychiatric hospitalization follow-up – Following a hospitalization for mental health distress, students meet weekly for a month with a case manager to ensure the student continues their care plan and has a smooth transition back to campus or, in some cases, help the student withdraw from school. 

Communicating with faculty and staff – Often students do not know how to express themselves effectively with faculty or how to advocate appropriately for themselves. We can help you practice and craft appropriate communication with faculty and campus departments. 

Facilitating hope – There may not be a solution to every problem, but there is always a path forward. Case Management can help you discover that path. 

The first step is to contact us. 

Students can contact us directly for an appointment.  We see students by appointment only, however, you should be able to get a meeting the next day or within a few days. Feel free to email us with questions, but if you’d like to make an appointment, it is faster to call at 951-827-5000.

Request an Appointment

Case Management Student Support

Learn more about how case managers help UCR students in distress from these frequently asked questions.

  • How do I refer a student to Case Management?

    Referral: Worried about a classmate, roommate or fellow student? You can refer a student to Case Management by giving them our contact information. If you’re in need of assistance for yourself, you can contact us directly.

    Outreach: You can request a case manager reach out to a classmate, roommate or fellow student. We need to know what your concerns are about the student, and whether or not we can mention your name in the outreach.  We recommend that you consult with us by phone or email to help us determine the best outreach for the student. 

  • If I refer a student to Case Management, can I remain anonymous?

    Yes, you can, but we always want to be transparent as possible with the student of concern. 

  • How do I know if the issue is appropriate for Case Management?

    Follow this response protocol to determine who to contact if a student is in distress. 

    If you are concerned about a fellow student’s well-being, most issues are appropriate for case managers. We will help the student get to the right place if we are not the correct department to assist them.

    If the student is having a mental health issue and is unsure about going to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), we can address the student’s concerns and normalize the counseling process, as well as help the student connect with counseling support.

    Case Management is not the appropriate resource for issues of sexual assault or sexual misconduct because we are not a confidential resource and will have to report information to the Title IX Office. UCR’s  Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education (CARE) advocates provide specialized, confidential sexual assault and sexual misconduct support to students.

  • What is the difference between Case Management and CAPS?

    Case Management provides problem-solving support, resources and advocacy for external challenges that are impacting a student’s personal and/or academic success. A case manager's role is similar to a social worker.

    CAPS provides therapeutic support for good mental health, emotional resilience and wellness.  They provide individual, group and couples psychotherapy. 

  • Are case managers therapists?

    No, case managers do not provide psychotherapy treatment to students.  However, they can assess students in crisis and help them get the mental health support they can need. 

  • Are case managers confidential?

    Case managers are covered by Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)  restrictions, therefore their conversations with students are private but not confidential. Case managers only share information on a need-to-know basis. This allows case managers to speak with a student’s academic advisor, financial aid counselor or other university official on the student’s behalf. 

    However, under FERPA, case managers cannot share any student information with anyone who is not a university employee, including parents, without the student’s written permission. The Office of the Registrar provides this deeper explanation of FERPA.

  • How can I get training to help my friends?

    Increase your knowledge and awareness of mental health and suicide, learn how to talk with a friend who may be in distress and learn how to connect them with mental health resources by completing the At-Risk online simulation. Visit for information on this and other online and in-person trainings you can complete to learn how to help students in crisis.

Resources for Students

Reach out to these on- and off-campus resources if you or a fellow student is in crisis. 


On-Campus Resources

  • Health, Well-being & Safety (HWS)
    Health, Well-being & Safety (HWS)


    Health, Well-being & Safety (HWS) is a newly created division made up of nine departments that are dedicated to listening, supporting, and providing UC Riverside students with helpful resources and services for your overall safety and well-being.

    The vision for HWS is to be a model of excellence in higher education by providing students the best campus environment to thrive, enhance, sustain, and support their personal growth and academic goals.

    The mission of the division is to raise awareness and provide students with an inclusive framework of services, resources, and programs that cultivate community and a holistic approach to the campus environment by supporting diversity and student success through an integrated culture of wellness.

  • Basic Needs
    Basic Needs

    Location: 110 Costo Hall
    Phone: (951) 827-3663

    Basic Needs Department connects students with essential resources if you are experiencing basic needs challenges, such as food insecurity, housing displacement/homelessness, or financial crisis. Some of the department resources are the R’Pantry — for food, hygiene products, and childcare items, emergency housing assistance, application assistance for CalFresh, and emergency grant support through our Economic Crisis Response Team.

  • CARE (Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education)
    CARE (Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education)

    Location: HUB 377
    Phone: (951) 827-6225

    CARE (Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education) is a confidential intervention and prevention support program committed to ending sexual violence at UCR. CARE seeks to unite, inspire and cultivate a community culture of care by providing direct advocacy, resources, and prevention educational programming related to issues of sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking.

  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
    Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

    Location: New Student Health and Counseling Center
    Phone: (951) 827-5531

    24/7 Crisis Counselor: (951) 827-8255 (UCR-TALK) or 2-8255 (2-TALK) from campus phones.

    CAPS professionals provide a range of programs to promote mental health, emotional resilience, and wellness throughout the campus community. Clinical services include individual counseling, couples counseling, group therapy, and psychiatric services. CAPS offers in-person and virtual services via TeleMental Health and In-Person Walk-In crisis support and appointments. All services are free, confidential, and provided by a diverse and multiculturally competent professional staff.

  • Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC)
    Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC)

    Location: 1228 Student Services Building
    Phone: (951) 827-3861

    Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) provides a wide range of free, voluntary, and confidential services to regularly enrolled UCR students with permanent or temporary disabilities. The center works with academic and support departments around the university to ensure that all students have equal access to campus life. Students must register with SDRC to request disability-related accommodations.

  • Student Health Services (SHS)
    Student Health Services (SHS)

    Location: New Student Health and Counseling Center, First Floor
    Phone: (951) 827-3031

    Visit the patient portal to schedule an on-line appointment. 

    24/7 Nurse Line: (877) 351-3457 

    If you’re injured or sick, require lab work, want a vaccine, or need to fill a prescription, SHS’ team of physicians, nurses, clinical lab scientists, and pharmacists can help. SHS offers on-campus primary care and psychiatric services, as well as referrals to off-campus specialists, programs, and resources. SHS also administers the University of California's Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) on campus. This comprehensive health insurance plan is provided to all registered undergraduate and graduate students. 


  • UC Police Department
    UC Police Department

    Location: 3500 Canyon Crest Dr
    Phone: (951) 827-5222
    Email: (not monitored 24 hours a day)


  • The Well
    The Well

    Location: HUB 248
    Phone: (951) 827-9355

    The Well is UCR’s health promotion department. This department provides students with health education tools, knowledge, resources, and supplies to keep themselves as healthy as possible so they can succeed at UCR. The Well also offers opportunities for peer engagement, support, leadership, and professional development. Programs and services include Peer Health Coaching, COVID Wellness Kits and Masks, Sleep Kits, Tea Station, Peanut Butter and Jogging, and Well-being Wednesdays!


    (951) UCR-TALK (827-5531) or 2-TALK (5531) from campus phones

    Call this 24-hour hotline for crisis counseling and consultations from mental health therapists.

Off Campus Resources

  • Riverside County Coalition for Alternatives to Domestic Violence (ADV)
    Riverside County Coalition for Alternatives to Domestic Violence (ADV)

    P.O. Box 910
    Riverside, CA 92502
    (800) 339-7233
    Alternatives to Domestic Violence (ADV) is a private, nonprofit organization serving all of western Riverside County with a range of services aimed at breaking the cycle of physical and emotional violence within families and the wider community. Services include a 24-hour crisis line, emergency and transitional housing, outreach services to victims of domestic violence, individual and group counseling, life skills and job training, child development services, child and teen counseling, and a range of training programs for legal professionals, first responders and employers in the identification of and response to domestic violence.


  • CA Youth Crisis Line
    CA Youth Crisis Line

    (800) 843-5200
    The California Youth Crisis Line (CYCL) operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week as the statewide emergency response system for youth (ages 12-24) and families in crisis. For assistance from a trained staff or volunteer counselor, call or text the line’s 800-number or visit its website to chat.


  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

    (800) 273-8255
    The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free, confidential support for people in distress, as well as prevention and crisis resources for people in distress and their loved ones. The Lifeline offers assistance by phone or web chat.


  • The Riverside Area Rape Crisis Center (RARCC)
    The Riverside Area Rape Crisis Center (RARCC) 

    Riverside Area Rape Crisis Center (RARCC)
    1845 Chicago Ave., Suite A
    Riverside, CA 92507
    (866) 686-7273
    The Riverside Area Rape Crisis Center (RARCC) offers support and confidential services free of charge to sexual assault survivors of all ages and their families. Services include, but are not limited to, a 24-hour crisis hotline, hospital advocacy, court accompaniment, accompaniment to law enforcement interviews, in-person crisis counseling, individual therapy, support groups, and self-defense for women and children. 

  • The Trevor Project
    The Trevor Project

    24-Hour Lifeline: (866) 488-7386
    Text TREVOR to (202) 304-1200
    The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention for LGBTQ youth under 25 through its phone lifeline, online instant messaging and text resources.

Helping Students in Distress

Follow this response protocol to determine who to contact if a student is in distress. For additional resources, consult the Red Folder.

If you or another student are in a health or safety emergency, call the UCPD at 911 or (951) 827-5222.


Concerned for a Student?

To report students of concern, please file a Public Care Report. To report life-threatening or immediate danger situations please call UCPD at (951) 827-5222 or dial 911.


CAPS is here to help! Call (951) 827-5531 and select option 2 for personal mental health services.