For Parents

Change Things Sign


Parents are welcome to call the Case Management office whenever they are concerned about their student. They can request that a case manager reach out to their student, or they can simply consult about how to handle a situation regarding their student. We can be reached at (951) 827-5000 or at

Case managers cannot, however, share any of the student’s information such as their grades, class schedule, or financial information without the student’s written permission. They can share general information about university policies and departments with you.

Case Management Parent Support

Learn more about how case managers help UCR students in distress from these frequently asked questions.

  • How do I refer to Case Management?

    Referral: You can refer a student to Case Management by giving them our contact information.

    Outreach: Faculty, staff and parents can request a case manager reach out directly to a student. Let us know your concerns about the student, and whether or not we can mention your name in the outreach.

  • How do I know if the issue is appropriate for Case Management?

    If you are concerned about a student’s well-being, then any issue is appropriate for case managers. We will help the student get to the right place if we are not the correct department to assist them. 

    For immediate safety concerns, however, call the UCPD at (951) 827-5222.

    If the student is having a mental health issue and is unsure about going to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), we can address the student’s concerns and normalize the counseling process, as well as help the student connect with counseling support.

  • What is the difference between Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Case Management?

    Case Management provides problem-solving support, resources and advocacy for external challenges that are impacting a student’s personal and/or academic success. A case manager's role is similar to a social worker.

    CAPS provides therapeutic support for good mental health, emotional resilience and wellness. They provide individual, group and couples counseling, and psychotherapy.

  • Are case managers therapists?

    No, case managers do not provide psychotherapy treatment to students. However, they can assess students in crisis and help them get the mental health support they need. 

Case managers work with students in:

Prioritizing needs – Students who have multiple issues in their personal, family, or academic life often don’t know what to tackle first. We can help them prioritize and develop a plan of action.

Problem-solving – Students often have conflicting priorities or don’t know how to break down problems to resolve them. We can guide them through a problem-solving process and empower them to find solutions that work for them.

Navigating complex university processes – UCR has many institutional policies and procedures, and it can be overwhelming for a student trying to find their way through the process. We are friendly guides to help them bridge the various departments.

Discussing options and developing strategies.

Accessing resources - Provide linkage to on-campus and off-campus resources.

Post-psychiatric hospitalization follow-up – Following a hospitalization for mental health distress, students meet weekly for a month with a case manager to ensure the student continues their care plan and has a smooth transition back to campus or, in some cases, help the student withdraw from school.

Communicating with faculty and staff – Often students do not know how to express themselves effectively with faculty or how to advocate appropriately for themselves. We can help students practice and craft appropriate communication with faculty and campus departments.

Facilitating hope – There cannot be a solution to every problem, but there is always a path forward. Case management can help students discover that path.



Helping Students in Distress

Follow this response protocol to determine who to contact if a student is in distress. For additional resources, consult the Red Folder.

If you or another student are in a health or safety emergency, call the UCPD at 911 or (951) 827-5222.


Concerned for a Student?

To report students of concern, please file a Public Care Report. To report life-threatening or immediate danger situations please call UCPD at (951) 827-5222 or dial 911.


CAPS is here to help! Call (951) 827-5531 and select option 2 for personal mental health services.